Sunday, July 20, 2014

Penne Alla Vodka recipe

I love cooking. I have found solice in the kitchen. I know that if I have had a rough day I can turn on Patsy Cline, poor myself a glass of wine and start chopping. Although before I continue I must tell you that I have not always found the kitchen to be a safe haven. When I first met my mother of the heart I could not make an egg or toast. We also won't talk about the time I almost set her house on fire with bacon grease. I digress. Cooking has a way of bringing people together with a common goal: to be fed. When friends and family gather at my table I desire that they are fed in a way that food cannot fulfill.

I'm so excited to share with you the recipes that I feed my family. Some of them are mine and some of them are from my favorite chefs. The following recipe is from a November/December (2006) Cook's Illustrated issue. I love Cook's Illustrated because they work very hard to fine tune classic recipes. My family loves this pasta dish. Without further adieu, let me to introduce you to this luxurious dish informally named "The Vodka Sauce" in my home.

Penne Alla Vodka*
Serves 4

So that the sauce and pasta finish cooking at the same time, drop the pasta into boiling water just after adding the vodka to the sauce. If possible, use premium vodka; inexpensive brands will taste harsh in the sauce. Pepper vodka imparts a pleasant flavor and can be substituted for plain.

1 (28 oz) can whole tomatoes, drained, liquid reserved
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 small onion, minced (about 1/4 cup)
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 medium garlic cloves, minced or pressed through garlic press (about 2 teaspoons)
1/4-1/2 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
Table salt
1/3 cup vodka
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 pound penne pasta
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil leaves
Freshly grated Parmesan cheese, for serving

1. Purée half of tomatoes in food processor until smooth. Dice remaining tomatoes into 1/2 inch pieces, discarding cores. Combine puréed and diced tomatoes in liquid measuring cup (you should have about 1 and 2/3 cups). Add reserved liquid to equal 2 cups.

2. Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat until shimmering. Add onion and tomato paste and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are light golden around edges, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and pepper flakes; cook stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.

3. Stir in tomatoes and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Remove pan from heat and add vodka. Return pan to medium-high heat and simmer briskly until alcohol flavor is cooked off, 8 to 10 minutes; stir frequently and lower heat to medium if simmering becomes to vigorous. Stir in cream and cook until hot, about 1 minute.

4. Meanwhile, bring 4 quarts water to boil in large Dutch oven over high heat. Add 1 tablespoon salt and pasta. Cook until just shy of al dente, then drain pasta, reserving 1/4 cup cooking water, and transfer pasta back to Dutch oven. Add sauce to pasta and toss over medium heat until pasta absorbs some of sauce, 1 to 2 minutes, adding reserved cooking water if sauce is too thick. Stir in basil and adjust seasoning with salt. Divide among pasta bowls and serve immediately, passing Parmesan separately.


*This recipe I just shared was taken directly from the Nov/Dec Cook's Illustrated issue. It is not my
recipe. It's important to me that credit is given where credit is due. :)

I personally use brown rice pasta. I notice that it doesn't make any difference when preparing. I also have used both inexpensive and higher quality vodka. I was shocked when I actually could tell a difference in the final outcome. If you can, purchase a higher quality vodka. Of course it is totally a personal preference. :) I use Grey Goose. I also almost always double the recipe. My 5 year old loves this for lunch the next day. And of course it's always 10 times better because the ingredients marry up brilliantly. I hope you have a go at this recipe and if you do I am fairly confident your children will ask for seconds and your husband just may offer to do the dishes. :) I do ask one thing of you. While consuming this extremely decadent meal I ask that you each go around the table to say something you are grateful for. A family tradition started by my father of the heart BB.

I give great thanks to Cook's Illustrated for inspiring me to wander outside my comfort zone and try cooking new food. I also give great thanks to my Marmy for not giving up on teaching me how to cook even when I almost torched her kitchen. Fun fact about Mandy: She does not and will EVER cook bacon in the oven (or broiler) again. Like ever.

xo,
M

No comments:

Post a Comment