Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Meet my daughter. The 5 year old life coach.

I have always said that my daughter is my teacher. Every time I think I have settled into this fact she says something that completely shakes me to my core. Take for example the other evening. Every Friday we go to our favorite restaurant to get sushi. As I took a bite of my spicy tuna roll she, with the wisdom of a 90 year old woman looked at me and said, "Mom don't you feel bad for the fish?" I about choked on the aquatic creature in my mouth. I had no response for this enlightened soul. My 5 year old left me dumbfounded. This is an all to familiar occurrence. Along with her innate ability to cause me to question years of being a self proclaimed carnivore she educates me on the power of being present. She reminds me that there is magic to be found in all things.

This evening as I my oven (had to give my oven a shoutout) was cooking our dinner she asked me to come play with her. As she was cooking for me I observed her every move. Every facial expression. Each sound. As I watched her I couldn't help but feel gratitude. Gratitude for this soul that chose me to guide her through this life. As I gazed at this tiny human I felt tears stream down my face. Tears of complete bliss and so thankful for the moment I was spending with her. What I was even more grateful for was the ability to let go of all the things that I felt that I "should" be doing and just be. She taught me this invaluable lesson. As a mom, wife, and  business owner I often times find myself getting caught up in all the things that require my attention. At times 24 hours just doesn't seem like enough time. And then I walk past my daughters room and I hear her squeal with laughter and I am humbly reminded to stop taking myself so serious and to just play. Every time I do stop to play, whether I'm dancing like a fool in my kitchen or exercising my vocal cords to become the next big thing in opera I am rejuvenated. I am given a sense of renewed energy to continue on with my day. It reminds me that I am human and that I do not need to strive for perfection, but to aim to be the best version of myself: perfectly imperfect. My daughter is the quintessential example of a soul living in the NOW. I give great thanks for this child. She is going to change the world. She has already changed mine in ways that words simply cannot express. I have many titles. Mandy, Mrs. Lanphere, friend, sister, daughter. "Mommy" is, without a shadow of a doubt, the most empowering name of all. Along with that word comes a life time of lessons. My daughter is my teacher and her world is my classroom.

xo,
M

No comments:

Post a Comment